The country-driven Grand Rapids band was joined by Political Lizard, May Erlewine, Max Lockwood and chart newcomer Gasoline Gypsies as the hottest regional plays for May on WYCE.
SCROLL DOWN TO LISTEN TO SONGS FROM THE FEATURED ARTISTS
Support our coverage of
West Michigan's music scene
Make it three straight.
For the third month in a row, Grand Rapids’ country-driven band Deep Greens & Blues snagged the top spot on the Local Spins Hot Top 5 chart, with its latest studio album, “Roll On,” earning the most airplay in May among local and regional albums on Grand Rapids’ WYCE (88.1 FM).
It was actually a chart filled with familiar names, with four of the five artists previously appearing on the Hot Top 5: Political Lizard’s “Joy the Dog” at No. 2, May Erlewine & The Motivations’ “In the Night” at No. 3 and Max Lockwood’s self-titled recording at No. 5.
Port Huron-bred rock/Americana outfit The Gasoline Gypsies, meanwhile, made its Hot Top 5 debut with its most recent release, “Vagabundos.”
And for fans of Michigan music, opportunities abound to see what all the fuss is about with these five artists: All of them are performing this week or later this month:
• Deep Greens & Blues plays the City Stage during Grand Rapids’ Festival of the Arts at 11:30 a.m. Saturday;
• Political Lizard plays Grand Armory Brewing in Grand Haven at 7 p.m. June 22, then is part of an “All-Star Jam Session” with The Accidentals and The Crane Wives at Park Theatre in Holland on June 30.
• May Erlewine & The Motivations christen the revamped amphitheater at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids Township at 7 p.m. Tuesday as part of a special Tuesday Evening Music Club show, with Erlewine also playing Lake Ann Brewing Co. in Lake Ann on Wednesday night;
• The Gasoline Gypsies play Allegan’s Rollin’ on the River series at 6 p.m. Friday and Allegan’s Bridgefest 2019 at 8 p.m. Saturday;
• Lockwood’s Tom Petty tribute band, The Insiders, plays The Blind Pig in Ann Arbor at 8 p.m. Saturday. (Lockwood also is a member of The Motivations.)
NEW LOCAL MUSIC ADDITIONS TO WYCE-FM: MAY 2019
Jesse Ray & The Carolina Catfish, “Love & Luck”
Earth Radio, “Mother’s Breath”
The Soods, “Extemporary”
Doogafruit, “Settle Down”
Kari Lynch Band, “The Other Side”
Guitar UP, “Western Pacific”
THE LOCAL SPINS HOT TOP 5 ON SPOTIFY: MAY 2019
Copyright 2019, Spins on Music LLC