Innovative ideas for outdoor concerts populate this week’s concert guide as the region continues to struggle with recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to changing conditions and unexpected closures, check with the restaurants or venues on this list before you make plans to attend a show to make sure they’re still open. Have a show to add to this week’s listings? Email date, time, artist and venue to firstname.lastname@example.org. SCROLL DOWN FOR THIS WEEK’S CONCERT LISTINGS.
Support our coverage of
West Michigan's music scene
Consider some of the unusual and novel ways West Michigan is attempting to offer live music safely during a pandemic.
Last weekend, the region’s second drive-in concert drew a capacity “crowd” of vehicles to Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners for a performance by a Beatles tribute band.
This week, Grand Rapids’ Paradise Outlaw will bring its music to its fans — hitting the road to haul a stage/trailer to five different locations from Marne to Wyoming to Grand Rapids on Saturday for 30-minute sets.
And on Saturday night, renowned touring musician Dixon’s Violin plays a sold-out, outdoor show at “The Beaver Lodge” in Comstock Park, part of a backyard series hosted by the Beaver Xing duo.
A few outdoor community concert series continue to dip their toes back into live music waters, too, including Relax at Rosa at Rosa Parks Circle in Grand Rapids at noon Thursday and Cutlerville’s Sounds of Summer firing up at Cutler Park at 7 p.m. Thursday
Of course, Michigan artists and festivals continue to lean on live-stream performances that allow fans to experience music from the safety of their own homes. Find some of those online here.
As usual, we encourage those attending to follow these guidelines as recommended by health officials:
• Patrons MUST wear masks when entering or walking around a bar or restaurant, and social-distancing is paramount.
• Before you head to an establishment or live show, check first to see how the bar or venue plans to accommodate patrons and meet social-distancing requirements. Outdoor settings for live music are the best option.
• Wear a face mask when entering or moving around a business, bring along a hand disinfectant and be prepared to wash your hands thoroughly afterward or if you use the restroom.
• Maintain a safe distance from other patrons and stay well away from anyone not wearing a mask.
• Don’t crowd the stage or get close to performers. Singing and the “level of exertion” required to play certain kinds of music can spread the virus.
• If the area is overly crowded without proper distancing between tables, seems to be operating at more than 50 percent capacity or not meeting face-mask requirements, leave. And don’t frequent any business if you’re not feeling well.
If your business or your band has a live, in-person performance to add to this concert listing, email the information to email@example.com. See a roster of upcoming live-stream shows by Michigan artists in our Viral Virtual Venues Live-Stream Concert Guide. If you’re an artist with an upcoming live-stream, add the info online here.
Purchase a Local Spins bandana/face covering here and help Local Spins keep rolling: Local Spins Gift Shop.
THE NOT-SO-BIG LIST CONCERT GUIDE (July 13-19)
• Iron Town outdoors at The Score, 5301 Northland Dr. NE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Monday
• Frank & The Danglers outdoors at The Score, 5301 Northland Dr. NE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Tuesday
• The New Standard jazz jam at Dee Lite, 24 Washington Ave. in Grand Haven, 6 p.m. Tuesday
• Jason Wheeler & Friends at Cedar Springs Brewing in downtown Cedar Springs, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday
• Megan Dooley at Bates Alley for “Beats on Bates” in Kalamazoo, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday
• JGJ Band outdoors at The Score, 5301 Northland Dr. NE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Wednesday
• Six Gun Report at Cedar Springs Brewing in downtown Cedar Springs, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday
• GrooveGround playing Rosa Parks Circle in downtown Grand Rapids, noon Thursday
• JETTS outdoors at The Score, 5301 Northland Dr. NE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Thursday
• Jake Stevens playing the Kirby House, 2 Washington Ave. in Grand Haven, 6 p.m. Thursday
• Douglas & Frank (from Union Guns) at Cedar Springs Brewing in downtown Cedar Springs, 6:30 p.m. Thursday
• Oat Bran Boys playing Cutlerville’s “Sounds of Summer” at Cutler Park, 6701 Cutler Park Dr., 7 p.m. Thursday
• The Dead Shepherds playing at Burl & Sprig, 500 W. Western Ave. Suite 200 in Muskegon, 7 p.m. Thursday
• Livin’ the Dream outdoors at The Score, 5301 Northland Dr. NE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Friday
• Gabe Schillman playing Smyrna Bar & Restaurant, 5022 Whites Bridge Rd. in Smyrna, 6 p.m. Friday
• Crooked Root playing FennValley Vineyard in Fennville, 6 p.m. Friday
• Brad & Jordan playing Borrowed Time, 22 E. Center St. in Douglas, 6 p.m. Friday
• Post Fontaine at Smash Wine Bar & Bistro, 415 W. Western Ave. in Muskegon, 8 p.m. Friday
• Nautic Bound at Shots on the River, 5760 West River Dr. in Grand Rapids, 9 p.m. Friday
• Lit Up Band playing River City Saloon in Grand Rapids, 9 p.m. Friday
• Paradise Outlaw outside Interurban Depot Cafe, 1580 Arch St. in Marne, 12:30 p.m. Saturday
• Drew Behringer playing Borrowed Time, 22 E. Center St. in Douglas, 1 p.m. Saturday
• Crooked Root at 1 p.m. Saturday, Prizefighter at 4 p.m. Saturday, playing the Island Spirit Party at Round Barn Estate in Baroda
• Paradise Outlaw outside Shots, 4259 Lake Michigan Dr. NW in Grand Rapids, 2 p.m. Saturday
• Sarah VE playing outdoors at Sandy Point Beach House, 7175 Lakeshore Drive in West Olive, 4 p.m. Saturday
• Paradise Outlaw outside The American Legion Roger B. Chaffee Post, 2327 Byron Center Ave. SW in Wyoming, 4 p.m. Saturday
• Three’s a Crowd at The Score, 5301 Northland Dr. NE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Saturday
• Drew Behringer playing Guardian Brewing Co., 3657 63rd St. in Saugatuck, 6:30 p.m. Saturday
• Bryan & Cory playing Borrowed Time, 22 E. Center St. in Douglas, 6 p.m. Saturday
• Paradise Outlaw playing outside Rylee’s Ace Hardware, 1205 W. Fulton St. in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Saturday
• Miss Lindsey Garcia at Smyrna Bar & Restaurant, 5022 Whites Bridge Rd. in Smyrna, 6:30 p.m. Saturday
• SOLD OUT: Dixon’s Violin playing The Beaver Lodge in Comstock Park, 7 p.m. Saturday
• John Shea Trio playing Noto’s Old World Italian Dining, 6600 28th St. SE, 6:30 p.m. Saturday (Call for reservations)
• JETTS at Burl & Sprig, 500 W. Western Ave. Suite 200 in Muskegon, 7 p.m. Saturday
• Post Fontaine at Smash Wine Bar & Bistro, 415 W. Western Ave. in Muskegon, 8 p.m. Saturday
• Paradise Outlaw playing outside Mieras Family Shoes, 841 Leonard St. NW in Grand Rapids, 8 p.m. Saturday
• Mike McIntosh playing the Kirby House, 2 Washington Ave. in Grand Haven, 8:30 p.m. Saturday
• Bitter Desire Band playing River City Saloon in Grand Rapids, 9 p.m. Saturday
• Tony Halchak at Cedar Springs Brewing in downtown Cedar Springs, noon Sunday
• Steffan Copenhaver playing “Singer-Songwriter Sundays” at Borrowed Time, 22 E. Center St. in Douglas, 2 p.m. Sunday
• Bill Ellingboe playing the Kirby House, 2 Washington Ave. in Grand Haven, 4 p.m. Sunday
• Brena outdoors at The Score, 5301 Northland Dr. NE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Sunday
Have a show to add to the Not-So-Big-List? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright 2020, Spins on Music LLC