Although the weather is now limiting outdoor performances, Local Spins has scared up a smattering of spine-tingling Halloween week shows and parties to consider.
SCROLL DOWN FOR FULL CONCERT LISTINGS
Support our coverage of
West Michigan's music scene
Let’s face it: Halloween isn’t nearly as scary as the 2020 events leading up to this weekend’s holiday.
The pandemic, in particular, has continued to haunt the country, altering many of the usual costumed celebrations that fire up bars, nightclubs and concert venues at this time of year.
But for fans of the frightful, Local Spins has unearthed a few socially distanced, costume capers for those willing to venture out on Halloween weekend.
At the top of the list: The B.O.B.’s annual Halloween bash in downtown Grand Rapids, an uber-popular party and costume contest that always draws a colorful coven of creepy attendees flaunting inventive get-ups.
Starting at 10 p.m. Saturday, The B.O.B. and Cumulus Media present “Maskarade Ball,” with four floors of the building decorated to the hilt while four DJs – Jay Vee, Mark Witz, Kane and Greg Knott — spin music in four different locations.
This year’s costume contest boasts a $500 prize for first place and $250 for second, with attendees registering in the lobby upon their arrival. Judges will roam the building during the party, choosing the five top contestants who will gather in Bobarino’s at 11:30 p.m. Applause from attendees will determine the winners.
The party is open to those 21 and older, with doors opening at 8 p.m. Tickets are $40 and available online here.
Due to COVID, guests and staff are required to wear masks “100 percent of the time unless they are seated at a table,” The B.O.B. cautions. Also, The B.O.B. won’t allow groups of more than 10 to be seated together “or grouped together in any capacity. Dancing is prohibited by the current executive order. If guests begin to dance, the DJ will stop playing until dancing stops.”
All tickets are for seated reservations only and guests are required to maintain social-distancing in line and at the party. More details and rules here.
GARAGE BAR’S STREET PARTY CANCELED AND A CANCELED PARK THEATRE MELOWEEN
Elsewhere in the downtown area, the Garage Bar & Grill, 819 Ottawa Ave. NW, on Friday canceled its planned outdoor street party at 7 p.m. Saturday, aka “Halloween Spookytacular,” with Hot Carl & The Cleveland Steamers on stage.
In Holland, meanwhile, Park Theatre decided on Thursday to cancel a planned Saturday event “due to the recent uprise of COVID-19 cases in Allegan, Ottawa and Kent counties.” The “Mel-O-Ween” party starring the Grand Rapids band Melophobix was supposed to take place at 9 p.m. Saturday with a limited number of four-person tables available. The show also was to be live-streamed.
“Even though we are confident our measures would be safe and clean for all involved, maybe now is just not the right time,” the theatre posted on Facebook. “We are truly sorry, but we must put the safety and security of our community first.” Read Park Theatre’s full statement here.
Luckily, more than just Halloween is on tap during this Covid-tainted weekend.
Grand Rapids singer, rapper and R&B artist Callab hopes to finally unfurl the album-release show for his new studio album, “Assorted 61X Pack,” at 8 p.m. Friday at Studio Park in downtown Grand Rapids. Initial plans for an Oct. 23 performance were thwarted by bad weather, forcing postponement until this Friday (Oct. 30).
Tickets for the socially distanced 8 p.m. show — with sets by Callab, Rijiri and Mel-V Collective, and presented by Lady Ace Boogie and AB — are $70 per pair. Get tickets and details online here. Read more about Callab’s new album at Local Spins here.
The evening will also feature a Halloween costume contest with a $100 grand prize. Attendance is limited to 120 people; doors open at 6:30 p.m.
Browse the rest of the concert listings below. For stay-at-home, live-stream shows check out our “Viral Virtual Venues” guide.
THE BIG LIST CONCERT GUIDE (Oct. 26-Nov. 1)
EDITOR’S NOTE: Due to changing conditions, unexpected closures and weather considerations, check with the restaurants or venues on this list before you make plans to attend a show to make sure they’re still open. Have a show to add to The Big List? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tom Hagen Trio with Rick Reuther at Noto’s Old World Italian Dining, 6600 28th St. SE in Grand Rapids, 6 p.m. Wednesday, call 616-493-6686 for reservations
• Evening Jam Session at Ludington Area Center for the Arts, 107 South Harrison St. in Ludington, 6 p.m. Wednesday
• Coty Bouchard at Cedar Springs Brewing in downtown Cedar Springs, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday
• TBA playing Flanagan’s Irish Pub, 139 Pearl St. NW in downtown Grand Rapids, 8:30 p.m. Wednesday
• JMM Jazz at Sandy Point Beach House, 7175 Lakeshore Drive in West Olive, 5 p.m. Thursday
• DJ Todd Brown playing the “Halloween Edition” of “State on the Street” on the marquee at Kalamazoo State Theatre, 404 S. Burdick Ave. in Kalamazoo, 4 p.m. Friday
• Randy Johnson at Sandy Point Beach House, 7175 Lakeshore Drive in West Olive, 5 p.m. Friday
• Mark Sala playing outside at The B.O.B.’s Beer Garden, 20 Monroe Ave. NW in Grand Rapids, 7 p.m. Friday (Show will be moved inside to H.O.M.E. in case of bad weather.)
• Pickin’ with Peers & Beers on the patio at Pincrest Bar & Lanes at 6571 Airline Road in Fruitport, 7 p.m. Friday
• Callab Album-Release Show with Rijiri and Mel-V Collective performing the Listening Lawn series at Studio Park, 123 Ionia Ave. SW in Grand Rapids, 8 p.m. Friday, $70 for a pair of tickets, details and tickets here. (This is a rescheduled show from Oct. 23.)
• Devil’s Night Vinyl Night at Grand Armory Brewing, 17 S. 2nd. St. in Grand Haven, 8 p.m. Friday
• Kindred at Smash Wine Bar & Bistro, 415 W. Western Ave. in Muskegon, 8 p.m. Friday
• TBA playing Flanagan’s Irish Pub, 139 Pearl St. NW in downtown Grand Rapids, 9 p.m. Friday
• Tarah from Pretty Rage playing Itty Bitty Bar, 1136 Ottawa Beach Road in Holland, 9 p.m. Friday
• Sonimanic playing the Log Cabin Cocktail Lounge, 2401 S. Division Ave. in Grand Rapids, 9:30 p.m. Saturday
• Celtic Halloween (with the Barley Saints and a DJ spinning Irish Samhain and “spooky favorites”) at Unruly Brewing, 360 W. Western Ave. in Muskegon, 5 p.m. Saturday (with a costume contest at 8:30 p.m.)
• Halloween “Mask”erade Party at the Grand Celebration Center Venue, 925 4 Mile Road NW in Grand Rapids, hosted by Social Dance Studio and Sharyl Langschied, with ballroom, Latin and swing dancing, 6 p.m. Saturday, reservations required at 616-735-9090
• John Shea Trio playing Noto’s Old World Italian Dining, 6600 28th St. SE, 6:30 p.m. Saturday (Call for reservations)
• CANCELED DUE TO CAPACITY RESTRICTIONS Halloween Spookytacular Street Party with Hot Carl & The Cleveland Steamers, 7 p.m. Saturday, outside Garage Bar & Grill, 819 Ottawa Ave. NW, $10
• Halloween Maskarade Ball with four DJs and a costume contest at The B.O.B., 20 Monroe Ave. NW in Grand Rapids, 8 p.m. Saturday, $40, advance tickets available online here. (An additional $10 cover is required for admission to Eve.)
• Forged in Blue playing the Halloween Bash at 6th Street Hall/Knights of St. Casimir Aid Society at 649 6th St. NW in Grand Rapids, 8 p.m. Saturday
• Project 90 playing the Halloween party at Rogue River Tavern, 4 N. Main St. in Rockford, 9 p.m. Saturday
• D2 playing Flanagan’s Irish Pub, 139 Pearl St. NW in downtown Grand Rapids, 9 p.m. Saturday
• CANCELED DUE TO COVID: Melophobix playing “Mel-O-Ween” at Park Theatre, 248 S. River Ave. in Holland, details here
• DJ Van Hekken playing a Halloween costume party at Itty Bitty Bar, 1136 Ottawa Beach Road in Holland, 9 p.m. Saturday
• Whiskey Bound playing Halloween at Twisted Bull Saloon, 3230 Eastern Ave. SE in Grand Rapids, 9:30 p.m. Saturday
• Jason Wheeler & Friends at Cedar Springs Brewing in downtown Cedar Springs, noon Sunday
• Grayson Barton playing The Underpass at The Pinnacle Center, 3330 Highland Drive in Hudsonville, 4 p.m. Sunday
• Dale Wicks at Cedar Springs Brewing in downtown Cedar Springs, 5 p.m. Sunday
Have a show to add to The Big List? Email email@example.com.
VIDEO: “Citizen” by Callab, featuring E-Will, J.Rob, Lady Ace Boogie, Jance, Cheeze Weez, Rebel Kuzco, Cheezy Scott
Copyright 2020, Spins on Music LLC