Cinematic rock, indie-folk, lively bluegrass, funk-rock, hip hop, EDM: All of it and more was on display this past week in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, captured and displayed in photos at Local Spins.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTO GALLERIES
Support our coverage of
West Michigan's music scene
Some nights are made for mellow. Some nights are made for boot-stomping bluegrass.
Others are meant for one-man-band instrumental prowess or cinematic, atmospheric U.K.-bred rock.
And still others just demand a funk-rock groove or an electronic music flair.
Those were just a few of the musical options rolling out for fans across West Michigan this past week:
• The same night, internationally acclaimed flamenco and world music guitarist Jesse Cook showed off his serious chops at Grand Rapids’ Wealthy Theatre;
• On Friday, Wisconsin’s Horseshoes & Hand Grenades brought its energetic, progressive bluegrass to the stage at Bell’s Eccentric Cafe in Kalamazoo;
• The U.K.’s Wolf Alice has turned heads and impressed critics with its dreamy, psychedelic and artsy alternative rock, delivering songs from its latest album, “Blue Weekend,” during Saturday’s tour stop at Elevation inside The Intersection in Grand Rapids (Set List online here);
• Kalamazoo’s State Theatre on Saturday was the setting for a mellow evening of folk-propelled music starring North Carolina’s Watchhouse and Nashville’s Erin Rae, with Watchhouse even noting that one of the Gibson guitars they were playing that night was made in Kalamazoo;
• Said the Sky, touring behind a new album, “Sentiment,” closed out the night at The Intersection on Saturday with an electronic dance music assault spanning dubstep, trap and more.
Also: Check out a separate recap, photo gallery and video highlights from Tuesday’s special ‘Music That Raised Us’ tribute to black female artists at Grand Rapids’ Listening Room: A night of empowerment paying homage to female legends Aretha, Etta and more.
PHOTO GALLERY: Dixon’s Violin, Jordan Hamilton at Tip Top Deluxe (Thursday)
Photos by Anna Sink
PHOTO GALLERY: Jesse Cook at Wealthy Theatre (Thursday)
Photos by Jamie Geysbeek
PHOTO GALLERY: Horseshoes & Hand Grenades at Bell’s Eccentric Cafe (Friday)
Photos by Derek Ketchum