Today, your favorite online music magazine posts a little year-in-review after wrapping up our 12th year as Michigan’s go-to music website.
As a time of reflection, January rules.
Support our coverage of
West Michigan's music scene
With the gray doldrums of winter settling in and holiday hoopla behind us, Local Spins today unfurls a little year-in-review – a sort of statistical look back at our coverage of Michigan’s music scene in 2023 (with plenty more to come in 2024).
First off, we have to give a huge shout-out to our readers, supporters, musicians, performers and advertisers who have helped Local Spins keep spinning and set yet another record in 2023 with a 19 percent increase in reader traffic.
Of course, that’s because our writers, photographers and editors have worked tirelessly to spotlight artists, concerts and festivals across the region. And to continue that mission, Local Spins needs the financial support of its readers and advertisers.
To those who have consistently donated to the cause, we can’t thank you enough. Times are tough for online publications as competition for advertising dollars ramps up and costs continue to rise, so we encourage all of you who appreciate our coverage of Michigan music to consider supporting us with a monthly or one-time donation online at presspatron.com/local-spins.
Need more evidence of what we do? Here’s a little synopsis of 2023:
• Local Spins published 469 stories or reviews covering a wide swath of concerts, festivals, events, artists and genres;
• As a result, Local Spins is rated the No. 1 music website in the state by FeedSpot, ahead of much bigger, corporate media outlets (such as The Detroit News and The Detroit Free Press).
• Local Spins debuted and showcased more than 330 new tracks by Michigan artists for its Local Spins on WYCE radio show and its weekly ‘Amplified’ newsletter. (Check out the songs in the photo.)
• In support of Michigan artists, Local Spins purchased hundreds of tracks by these bands and solo acts to air on its Local Spins on WYCE radio show at 88.1 FM and online at wyce.org.
• Local Spins resumed hosting Local Spins Wednesdays concerts at SpeakEZ Lounge in downtown Grand Rapids, a series in an intimate setting aimed at giving a stage to emerging and established artists from across the state.
• Local Spins hosted its second annual Local Spins Fest in May, a one-day festival at Studio Park in downtown Grand Rapids that kicked off the summer concert season with a celebration of six female-driven Michigan acts.
• In support of music festivals and community concerts – and as a service to readers and music lovers – Local Spins once again was the only media outlet in the state to publish comprehensive listings of Michigan music festivals and summer community concerts, literally hundreds upon hundreds of them (as well as a listing of area open-mic nights).
• Local Spins posted “Artist Spotlight” feature stories on more than 100 Michigan bands and solo performers in 2023, along with reviews of more than five dozen new albums.
• Through syndication arrangements, Local Spins stories also were shared with more than a dozen Michigan newspapers, providing even more exposure for bands, their music and their performances.
In short, Local Spins proudly commemorated its 12th year as Michigan’s go-to site for music news.
Thanks to all of you for your dedication to Local Spins’ mission — and spread the word so that we can keep rocking and spinning.
Support Local Spins’ coverage of Michigan’s music scene: http://www.presspatron.com/local-spins
Copyright 2023, Spins on Music LLC