Local Spins’ 10th anniversary celebration will light up a half-dozen Grand Rapids venues with a diverse mix of performers and feature an outdoor mini-fest headlined by The Accidentals.
A mammoth milestone demands a mammoth celebration.
Support our coverage of
West Michigan's music scene
So, the 10th anniversary of Local Spins – the state’s fastest-growing music website, which spotlights, supports and champions the region’s music scene through online stories, photos, videos, reviews, podcasts and more – will roll out in mid-May as a robust reflection of West Michigan’s prodigious talent.
The week-long celebration in mid-May will showcase more than 20 Michigan-bred artists at a half-dozen Grand Rapids venues, culminating in a one-day, outdoor Local Spins Fest at downtown’s Studio Park piazza headlined by Traverse City alt-folk stars The Accidentals and featuring five other diverse acts.
The multi-day affair will spotlight folk, rock, hip hop, bluegrass, blues, pop, R&B, surf rock and more in a kickoff to a summer unlike any other after two years of a pandemic-impaired malaise.
It all starts on Monday (May 16) with an intimate Listening Room show starring Cadillac native Luke-Winslow King and Grand Rapids legend Ralston Bowles and continues with nightly shows throughout the week at Listening Room, SpeakEZ Lounge, The Pyramid Scheme, The Intersection and Tip Top Deluxe Bar & Grill – all venues affected by the COVID pandemic and deserving a renewed surge of attention.
In short: The anniversary celebration is a community-building reflection of West Michigan’s stellar music scene – and just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the accomplished musicians and songwriters strutting their stuff.
Here’s the lineup and details:
• MONDAY, MAY 16 – Listening Room: Luke Winslow-King & Roberto Luti with special guest Ralston Bowles, 7:30 p.m., $20, tickets on sale here.
• TUESDAY, MAY 17 – Listening Room: A special Local Spins edition of “Songtellers, Stories & Songs” hosted by Nicholas James Thomasma with rock multi-instrumentalist Patty PerShayla, hip hop cellist Jordan Hamilton, punk rock guitarist Julio Gomez and singer-songwriter Eric Engblade, 7 p.m., $10, tickets on sale here.
• WEDNESDAY, MAY 18 – SpeakEZ Lounge: Earth Radio and the return of The Concussions, 8 p.m., free. Donations accepted.
• THURSDAY, MAY 19 – The Pyramid Scheme: Local Spins 10th Anniversary Hip Hop Showcase with Les Creatif, J. Rob & Bedrock and Wuzee & Samil, 8 p.m., $8 advance, available online here.
• FRIDAY, MAY 20 (Early Show) – Tip Top Deluxe Bar & Grill: Blues Night with Jake Kershaw and Hank Mowery & The Hawktones, 7 p.m., $10, tickets available online here.
• FRIDAY, MAY 20 (Late Show) – The Intersection: Desmond Jones and The Legal Immigrants at Elevation, 9 p.m., $10, tickets on sale now at sectionlive.com.
• SATURDAY, MAY 21 – Local Spins Fest at Studio Park
2 p.m. – Doors open
3 p.m. – DJ SuperDre
4 p.m. – Cabildo
5 p.m. – Hannah Rose Graves
6 p.m. – Full Cord
7 p.m. – Public Access (wsg Emilee Petersmark of The Crane Wives)
8:30 p.m. – The Accidentals
Refreshments, merchandise and sponsor booths will be part of the event. General admission tickets are just $20 and on sale now at listeningroomgr.com.
To really spice things up for the May anniversary, Rockford Brewing Co. will release the 2022 edition of Local Spinsation Ale for the first time in five years – a special brew commemorating Local Spins that will be available at a variety of West Michigan venues.
Local Spins also plans a special “pop-up” show – or two – to kick things off earlier in the month, so keep your eyes and ears open for more, yet-to-be-announced musical fun.
And while we hate to say it, all Local Spins anniversary events are subject to change based on COVID conditions and restrictions, as well as the fickleness of Mother Nature when it comes to the May 21 Local Spins Fest.
Sponsors for Local Spins Fest include Daniel Terry & The West Michigan Songwriters Festival, Downtown Grand Rapids Inc., Modelo, Long Drink and Walk the Beat.
Copyright 2022, Spins on Music LLC