With a brand new album, “Pluto,” heating up, Joe Hertler of Michigan’s Rainbow Seekers rolls out his summer festival Top 10 playlist — the third Local Spins roster of tracks getting fans ready for Electric Forest.
EDITOR’S NOTE: With several Michigan acts performing at Electric Forest in Rothbury this year, Local Spins asked a few to submit playlists of favorite songs as a pre-festival soundtrack for attendees and Forest wannabes. This Top 10 list of EDM gems was compiled by Joe Hertler, frontman for Joe Hertler & The Rainbow Seekers, who will play with the Everyone Orchestra at 12:15 a.m. tonight in The Hangar and in a full band performance at 5:45 p.m. Sunday on the Observatory stage. Hertler will also do a special DJ set on June 29, so he knows of whence he speaks for this playlist. Get the lowdown on Michigan bands playing Electric Forest in this Local Spins feature and come back to Local Spins all weekend for Electric Forest coverage. Also, check out Top 10 playists from The Accidentals and Vox Vidorra.
THE LOCAL SPINS ELECTRIC FOREST PLAYLIST: Joe Hertler
1. “Slowly,” Yottoasenre (Melodic / Progressive / Deep House) – Simple melodies over lush arrangements that give off a “Tycho meets house music” type of vibe. Easily my favorite up and coming producer / DJ.
2. “Lost Memory,” Boris Brejcha (Melodic / Dark Techno) – Another one of my all time favorite producers. This song is one of his classics and represents a more relaxed energy compared his trademark driving dark techno sound.
3. “Hi-Life,” Monkey Safari (House) – Classic track with a well utilized Bon Iver vocal sample. Moody, atmospheric, and remarkably simple.
4. “Spooky,” Sonny Fodera (Funky House) – Great warm up track with a catchy vocal melody and upbeat, smile inducing vibe.
5. “Tiny Dancer” (Moto Blanco Remix), Marco Demark (Disco House)
Pretty sure Moto Blanco can take any pop song and turn it into a decent disco house track. Play this one to impress your friends.
6. “There’s No Love” by Moon Boots (Deep House) – Every house fan loves Moon Boots, whether you dig his quirky, heavily stylized production style or not. This is one of, his best tracks.
7. “Citrus,” Kry Wolf (Bass / Jackin / Deep House) – One of my favorite tracks in the bassier end of house music, Kry Wolf presents a polyrhythmic bass fest with the dark edged attitude commonly associated with the genre.
8. “Shimmer,” Aeonism (Progressive House) – Not many people have ever heard of Aeonism. I’m not even sure if he is still making music under the moniker, but I believe this cut is one of the greatest progressive house tracks ever made, imho.
9. “Music Sounds Better With You,” Stardust (House) – Stardust was a side project of Thomas Bangalter (of Daft Punk). One song was released and it remains as one of the greatest house tracks of all time.
10. “Beginnings” (Gary Beck Remix), Tony Thomas (Dark Techno) – I realized that there wasn’t enough techno on this list, and man, there are few things I love more than dark techno with snare hits on the two and four. If you’re driving, increase your speed by 5 miles per hour and pump this as loud as your stereo will go.
THE LOCAL SPINS ELECTRIC FOREST PLAYLIST: JOE HERTLER
(Note: “Spooky” by Sonny Fedora isn’t available on Spotify.)
Copyright 2017, Spins on Music LLC