September hasn’t seen any slowdown in concert fervor across West Michigan as Local Spins’ weekend photo galleries prove. Check out the live music action in resplendent images.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTO GALLERIES
Support our coverage of
West Michigan's music scene
Like a game-changing, two-minute, fourth-quarter touchdown drive, the summer of 2022 certainly qualifies as a comeback of epic proportions when it comes to Michigan’s music scene.
Another example of that came with Saturday’s revival of the Eastown Street Fair amid an eclectic Grand Rapids neighborhood that prides itself on its unique character.
With more than 20 genre-spanning local bands performing on three stages — outdoors and inside at Billy’s Lounge and Mulligan’s Pub — the one-day festival drew happy crowds who roamed Wealthy Street SE to revel in art, vendors, the WYCE-FM CD & Record Sale and, of course, musical charm.
But that was just one small piece of a very active week of music that included:
• A fan-electrifying appearance by California post-hardcore band Dayseeker — along with The Word Alive and Moodring — at The Intersection in Grand Rapids, a set that included a killer rendition of the band’s latest single, “Without Me”;
• A sold-out show by The Mountain Goats (with Lilly Hiatt) at Bell’s Brewery Beer Garden in Kalamazoo that had the crowd singing along from the get-go to tracks both new and old;
• The return of the second-year Wayland BalloonFest south of Grand Rapids over the weekend, with live music from local faves Wayland, Kari Lynch Band and more;
• Colorado producer Of the Trees pumping up fans at Elevation inside The Intersection, the same night that another Colorado act — Magic Beans — fired things up at Bell’s Brewery Eccentric Cafe in Kalamazoo with help from Michigan’s own Stormy Chromer.
• Rapper and Philly native Mega Ran closing out the weekend on Sunday night at The Pyramid Scheme (along with The Microphone Misfitz, Slopfunk Dust, Penny The Great and Playing With Power).
PHOTO GALLERY: Eastown Streetfair in Grand Rapids’ Eastown
Lynn & The Moonshine Runners, Low Phase, Ernie Clark & The Magnificent Bastards
Photos by Anthony Norkus
PHOTO GALLERY: Wayland BalloonFest w/ Wayland, Kari Lynch Band
Photos by Eric Stoike
PHOTO GALLERY: Magic Beans, Stormy Chromer at Bell’s Brewery Eccentric Cafe
Photos by Derek Ketchum